Wednesday, August 29, 2007

First day of school

Someone always asks, "Ms. Krasnow, I heard you don't let kids go to the bathroom during class."

And I always respond, quite matter of factly, "You heard right."

And someone always wants to push that thought, and ask all those "what if" situations which might cause me to bend the rules.

And I always respond quietly and thoughtfully: "I have been teaching for many, many years and no one has ever peed in their pants in my class." And after an uncomfortable pause, I add, "So don't be the first."

And that pretty much ends the conversation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"many, many years" :D

Ron Castia said...

When you really gotta go, permission is irrelevant.

EB said...

I, um, have peed my pants in the classroom, but it wasn't yours and it was my own damn fault for not going during recess. And it totally scarred me :).

Monday is going to be great! I'm looking forward to both the race and hopefully the hangout time before & after; I'm planning to come a bit early and help out as needed before my PM shift.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

OMG! you're evil.

I peed on my best friend's stoop once. If you don't know what a stoop is, I'm not going to tell you. I just waited way too long and I don't remember all the details, but I do remember her mom dressing me in her clothes and washing my clothes for me. I think I was scarred for life.

place_holder said...

you tell them so!

back home, there's no such thing as asking for a permission to powder one's nose during a class. the permissions were for speaking up (after raising one's hand and being actually pointed by the teacher to do so), and picking up erasers and pencils if we accidentally drop them on the floor.

maybe we have bigger bladders.

Chris said...

Do you have a special decorated hall pass that you make the kids tote to the restroom?

~ lauren said...

i always have to pee.

sometimes i have those dreams at night that i'm actually getting up to go pee, but i'm not really and i'm about to let go and then i realize, CRAP I'M DREAMING.

and then i wake myself up and get out of bed to really go.