Monday, August 20, 2007

This Morning...

Sometimes getting up at 6:00 and riding is nice. This was one of those rare mornings.

It was grey here in Berkeley but half way up the hill the sun came out. The fog was hanging really low over the city and I could look down and see the blanket sitting on Berkeley, the Bay and SF. I reached Skyline just as the sun was coming up and there was a blanket of fog sitting on the east side of the hills as well. When I stopped to take a picture three deer, a doe and her two fawns, dashed across the road.

I cruised along the trying to flush the remnants of Saturday's wicked cramps out of my legs. There were a few other bikers out and a few commuters were starting their daily journeys but mostly it was quiet and peaceful. On days like today it's my favorite time to ride.

At the end of my ride I dropped back into Berkeley where the fog had retreated from our neighborhood and it was clearly the start of a beautiful day. A couple of turns before home I encountered a small flock of wild turkeys scratching for their breakfast among the coastal oak trees in one of Berkland's 'nicer' neighborhoods. I had seen them before, in the same spot. It's nice to see their thriving in their urban oasis.

No comments: