Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why we do it.

Though I have never met Michael, his post today resonated with me. For nine years I have put up with the crap (and that's a polite way to say it) that urban teachers must endure. At the end of the day, I both love what I do and find that I am actually really good at it. Mostly, though, I simply love it.

My own Mike can attest that I don't love every minute of it. The tears, expletives, wine drinking, and soapbox ranting certainly wear on our dinner conversations from time to time. But as the summer wanes and I gather my thoughts (and stupid jokes) to return to 7th grade, I must admit that I'm excited to go back.

Today, while parking at Trader Joe's in Alameda, I saw a familiar face. Running up to kiss me and shower me in a firm embrace was the mother of a former student of mine. Although I currently teach 7th grade math in Berkeley, my last job was as a Spanish bilingual teacher in east Oakland. This mother, who speaks no English, caught me up on her son's life in the 6 years since I was his 5th grade teacher. Medardo and his mother arrived, illegally, from El Salvador in the middle of the school year. He spoke absolutely no English, but was an eager student who became easily frustrated at his inability to express himself in this foreign language and culture. It was clear to me that he was well educated in El Salvador as he quickly became one of the strongest math students in my class.


Fast-forward 7 years...Medardo is entering his senior year of high school and applying to UC Santa Cruz. His mom couldn't have been prouder and insisted that I give her my home phone number so that Medardo could call and tell me all about school and the trouble he had in algebra 2 last year.


It's amazing how much they grow up! Although I don't have a picture of Medardo, these are some students from his class, all of whom are now going to be high school seniors.

6 comments:

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

thats awesome! Although I'm sure you know that what you do impacts so many young lives, it is cool when you actually get to hear about it first hand! I teach college students, but even then, the few times when they write or stop by to tell me about their lives and weird things that were influential to them...its really inspiring. :-) Yay! Nice that there are teachers like you still inspiring our youth.

EB said...

I love it when people manage to turn their passions into a job that fosters more joy, rather than sucking it dry; I suppose that's the real test of a passion, though -- can you do it over and over and still love it? You're a very lucky lady!

Itinerant Rick said...

Great story! And must feel nice to get that feedback that you are making an impact. Nice job!

Back when I was a biologist I did volunteer work on a couple of special programs for 6th graders. That was in N. Arizona. You are making me think that perhaps I should look for those types of programs around here.

Rumor has it that we will see you at San Ardo. True?

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

YAY san ardo! It's goign to be a fun 'meeting of the bloggers' it seems!!
i'll be in the 3s.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

very cool.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that I surfed around and read this today. You just made my day.