Monday, September 03, 2007

Sigh...


What a day. Mike and I spent 12 hours working and racing today. We are pooped, but happy.

Our time was NOTHING compared to the Mints who actually organized today's race. All Mike and I did was volunteer.

It was taste of why I love our team so much:

* The tireless hours which so many Mints put into making the Giro such a special race.

* The hottest podium girls on this side of the Equator.

* Julie winning the 4s on a flier with one to go with Melissa grabbing 2nd by winning the field sprint.

*Laurie with her larger-than-life sprint upon hearing that the next prime was a cross frame. (After my prime winnings today I realized that I need to learn from Laurie how to listen for the RIGHT primes to sprint for).

*Jane, seeing a hole, turning to Jen with 1/2 lap to go, exclaiming that someone better take advantage of it, jumping on the backside to outsprint an extremely stacked field to take the win in the W P-1-2-3 race.

I fumbled the lead out (big time) in the 3s race so we ended up with a lot of primes, but no real results. I'm frustrated, but I'm still learning. I was worried about getting on the front too soon that by the time I made the move for the front, Starla had already jumped at the top of the hill and I spent the whole back side of the last lap with Laurie on my wheel, in the wind, fighting desperately to get around her and a few others. I made it to their wheels, but that was in the last corner. When they stood to sprint, I was done. My hesitation on the hill did me in.

I started the 1-2-3 race later on, only to find that I didn't have the legs to hang in for very long. Bella Ryan was behind me at one point when I was getting gapped and luckily saw the hole. I knew she was back there and would have felt terribly if I was the reason that she got dropped. When she came around me I jumped on her wheel and was able to stay in a bit longer, but then the writing was on the wall. As Pat always said in Italy this summer, I was "past my sell-by date."

I would happily write more about today if my brain weren't on emergency shut down mode at the moment. Sleep...shower...do the easy Monday crossword puzzle...sleep. I think I need to give into the voices in my head.




15 comments:

karla said...

Wow, sounds like a great day, I'm sorry I had to miss it. Great season!

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

so sorry to have missed all the fun...just more motivation to get ready for next year!!!

sounds like the mintys had a great day. congrats all around!

Itinerant Rick said...

It was a great time. Wished we could have stayed longer, but Ms. Chatterbox had stacked YASE (Yet Another Social Engagement) on the calendar so we had to miss half the fun.

It was great to see you and KK working to the bridge that first break in the W3. Good work, and you continued to look good it what looked like a strong field.

Bet with all that work and racing that the rumored stop at Sports Basement was put on the back burner :-)

~ lauren said...

i've seen a bunch of pics from various people and it looks like it was FUN!

good job and congrats on a successful event!

Anonymous said...

you guys rocked SF, it was a fun time!

thanks, kudos to your team and velopromo!

chatterbox said...

It is hard to volunteer and focus on racing (speaking from experience). I can't believe you actually managed to race twice! I also thought you raced really smart during the W3 race. I know the end wasn't what you had in mind, but there were some things you did absolutely right earlier in the race that you can be proud of.

Your team did well racing and did a heck of a job with the event itself. It was first-rate! Congrats on a wonderful day to all the minities.

veloandvino said...

great day!!! Thanks to you, Mints, and Velo Promo. Best Giro in years!!!

Emily said...

Alison,

I have some pictures from your race. if you send me your email address: SFRacerX@gmail.com I will send you the link as there are a couple good ones of you.

Emily

Allison Krasnow said...

OMG, I feel like a mac-truck ran me over here at work!
Karla--I heard you were a cross stud this weekend. Wow.
Pab-Yep, we missed you too.
CR-I had to laugh at your SB reminder as I TOTALLY forgot I had even suggested it. Yes, we were THAT tired last night.
CB-Thanks for the kind words. My fitness is a lot better than my tactics, but I'm working on that!
L-Hopefully we'll see you soon. Mike might do cross this year.
F-I saw you there...but no racing?
VV-Metromint did most all of the publicity and had a huge role in making the race as successful as it was. They're a fabulous sponsor.
E-Thanks!

Velovera said...

Fabulous race, yet again! I was so happy to be there for it!!!

place_holder said...

kudos to the dots!!

dblrider said...

Alicat - Thanks to you and all the Minty volunteers - a great race! I hope Merkeley isn't too banged up from his crash - please pass along a "heal up quick" from Ken (Pen Velo). It figures - the last time we were at the same race (Steinbeck), I hit the deck - bummer all around.

Cheers and thanks again!

EB said...

Oh, jeez, did I not post the comment I thought I did yesterday? Got room for one more in that puzzle? ;)

Dr. Xeno said...

This post is like my blog - and my racing - SLOW! Mintys rock! Great day of racing - I crashed hard and still loved it!

yellowbug said...

Allison,
What a great picture! I bet the Metro Mint sponsors were thrilled with the race . . . you guys did an incredible job! Thanks for all the hard work and the awesome race day.
mp