Friday, September 28, 2007

Retoast?

We've all been there. The toaster pops but the bread is barely warm enough to melt the butter. We pause for a second and then plunge the bread back in the toaster for round 2. We tell ourselves we'll monitor the progress and catch it before it's overdone. Sometimes we actually stop the toaster before the bread is burnt.

Last night I went to Hellyer Velodrome for my first track race. It was the last race of the season but I didn't want to wait for next spring to check out a 'real race'. I carpooled down with BikerBeth and we arrived with enough time to get a decent warm up. As this was my first real race at the track I lined up with the C group. Beth had warned me that the speed in the C race wasn't much different than the B's and the group waiting at the rail looked fast.
Off we went and I wasn't disappointed it was race on. The format was a 60 lap race with sprint points every 5 laps. The first few sprints were manageable and I think I was in the points each time. Then as we surged for the fourth sprint I was bumped onto the blue line. As I came back on the track I heard the rhythmic ping of an unhealthy rear wheel. My first thought was a broken spoke but after I made my way to the infield I found I had a safety pin in my rear tire.

I was bummed. I hadn't brought any spare anything and was bummed to have driven down for a ten minute race...warm bread. Our host, Larry, recommended finding a spare wheel and jumping in the B race. Luckily Maurice, our local pedal dancer, offered his extra rear wheel(thanks Maurice). After a scramble to change rear cogs I had a working bike race right as the B's were lining up.

After we were on the rail the A group decided they were going to join in. The plan was they would trail the pack for our 60 laps and then continue on for 60 more on their own. I wasn't sure how they would impact the race but told myself I would monitor my progress and swing off if things got too heated.
The biggest difference I noticed was in tactics. It took a few laps but I found some kind of rhythm and was able to hang in and participate in most of the race. I think I was in the points for a couple of the sprints. If I drifted to the back I could sit on the wheels of local pros BJM and RK (which in and of itself was pretty fun), who were waiting for their race, catch my breath for a few pedal turns and then get back in the mix. I'm sure I made more mistakes than I realize but I got caught up in the fun and finished the race making it an 80 lap night with 16 sprints and a few bridge attempts.

After we finished we all enjoyed the food and drink Larry provided while watching the A group mix it up (which mostly consisted of BJM toying with the rest of the field.) When I finally crawled in bed with a blood sugar headache and tired legs I realized I'd let the toast burn again!

Can't wait 'til next season!

9 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Next time try David A.'s tactic of doing just one really long sprint and lap the field.

:-)

EB said...

Oof, that sounds rough. Glad you caught the flat before it caught you!

Anonymous said...

That was fun racing with you last night, Mike. Can't wait 'til next season.
--Aaron

Anonymous said...

Merkeley,
I'll see what we can do to get a magnet to pick up the safety pins.

Merkeley Bike said...

Nome - After last night I can only speculate that lapping the B's takes some serious rummaging in the suitcase of pain.

Aaron - I agree...all good fun. Looking forward to getting out there more next season.

Glen - safety pin seems like a bit of a fluke. Unless it's a huge problem a magnet seems like overkill. Luckily I was riding a clincher and will probably just need a new tube.

Chris said...

Congratulations on your first real race.

It sounds like a blast. I wish we had a track close to Austin.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

I SOOOO wish there were more races to be had at the track this year....

good job getting out there.

and how the heck did a safetey pin get you? I thought there was a reason why they are called "safety" pins....

Unknown said...

under cover of my wife's g-mail:

man, you guys have way too much fun! Merk, I did not know you could tie flies, tho should've guessed.

Ali - I too was/am OTB, but have not gotten that creative in my gustatory pleasures - same ol' Sierra Nevada and meat indulgences... and ice cream.

The X

Itinerant Rick said...

Probably good I missed Thursday night; with my recent luck I would have found the safety pin! Maurice is always helpful; he had a spare chainring he was going to loan me on that last Saturday, but it was the wrong bolt pattern. Looking forward to next years racing!