Friday, December 29, 2006

A Skinny Day

After a leisurely morning, we made our way to Skinny Skis to rent...you guessed it...skinny skies. In the shadow of the big steeps we stuck to the flats and rollers trying to get our skate legs back.

After hearing about all the snow in Denver, I was surprised to see how little snow there is on the ground here in Jackson. The 'snow snakes' were out in abundance, sunning themselves, on some of the wooded trails but we managed to avoid most of them.

Like XBunny, I felt that my cycling training has transferred well to my skating....which was nice. When we get back to Cali I need to make time to get up to the snow again for more cross training.

Lastly, we learned that Jackson isn't really the place to come for skinny skiing if you want to ski on groomed tracks. Our best option here has 17 Km of groomed trail (we skied every trail at least once in about 2 hours). In comparison, in the north lake our favorite areas have 115 Km or 330 Km of trails.

8 comments:

EB said...

Mr. Man & I say: "snow snakes?!?"

Then Mr. Man said "there are no snow snakes"...we're intrigued!

~ lauren said...

oh my god, that looks like so much fun!

it looks like it was a perfect day. that sky in your pics is beautiful.

X Bunny said...

sounds like fun!

our 'resort' has about 60k of trails when it is all open--right now it is at about 25 so it is getting a little monotonous to do the same route every time.....we need just a little more snow

few snakes up our way too--pab seems to be hitting a few, i've missed most of them so far....

Merkeley Bike said...

BB: 'Snow Snakes' are branches of small trees or bushes poking through the snow.

Lauren: The weather has been COLD but beautiful

x bunny: I can't wait to get more snow in the sierras and getting out for some more skiing.

Gianni said...

Looks gorgeous.

Unbelievable day here as well, the crew missed you both on the Devil Mountain.

I miss Eagle Mountain and five buck Wednesdays.

Lothar Glerbny said...

I am going to have to go skiing soon. You guys are making me really miss it.

Wait 'till I tell my coach I am going to Whistler on March 3rd (McLane weekend...oops, poor planning on my part).

EB said...

That makes more sense than what we were thinking...

X Bunny said...

uh
snow snakes are invisible creatures (maybe out of phase or something with our time continuum) that trip you and make you fall over