Monday, December 04, 2006

It's official...

A bike dork to be specific. Many of you are saying to yourselves 'Duh M, we've known that for a long time'. Well, today I was convinced too.

This morning I'm walking the dog on my typical Monday loop. We walk to the local Peet's/Bakery combo for the morning transfusion. As I step into the Bakery I see two guys standing at the counter and think 'Cool, short line today'. Then I notice that these guys are none other than Mr. Rodriguez and Mr. Hincapie. Holy Shyte!

Now I've had quite a few close encounters with public figures (I'll spare you the name dropping) and have always been able to keep my cool. Today I was a dork! I froze, I blushed and was clearly awe-struck. I wanted to say something but felt stupid at the same time. I'm pretty sure I looked like one of those old news clips of Beatles Fans...without the screaming. When George turned and looked at me I managed to ask how his Sunday Ride went. I think he said it was a 'Good Turnout'.

After they left I'm sure the woman behind the counter was trying to figure out what I was on. I was going to explain but decided she wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Fred and George were in Peet's too but by then I regained my composure.

What a dork!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have offered to buy them their coffees if they would be your friend. Or better yet, ask them for autographs for your daughter. Yeah, that's it, for your daughter! :')

EB said...

You should ask me about the time I finally decided to say something to Fred (as a friend of a couple of friends) on a ride. Talk about foot in mouth disease!

Somehow this weekend I managed not to stutter all over Robin Williams. Not sure how exactly that happened.

X Bunny said...

i'm sure i'd be a dork if i ever had a similar opportunity

we ran into joe montana once in costco but plenty of other people were doing the dork thing so we just spied from afar

Anonymous said...

I met Freddie at Interbike a couple of years ago. He is pretty cool, we chatted about his coffee brand. I asked a question about the coffee and let him dork out about it.

I met Tyler, didn't like him.

I walked by Bobby, he was pushing his baby in the stroller. I just gave the casual "howz it goin" like you do any one else you walk by.

At a rehearsal studio back in the day I ran into Kirk Hammet from Metallica in the john. It was a challenge, cuz the dude was my total guitar hero, but I played it cool and just gave him a nod and a "yo".

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Kirk Hammet in the john--is he a hand washer??

-

Actually, I said something stupid to Montana. To this day I don't know if he was laughing with me, or at me, or if he even understood what i'd said. He'd had surgery on his elbow the day before and looked like he had taken a few painkillers that morning....

-

Now, why would Freddy be drinking Peets? I sorta met him once--as he dropped the hammer on my ass and bridged up to the break without me. I knew he was gonna go, was right on his wheel, i really did everything right....except accelerate quite as fast as he was capable.....

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i'da squeezed some a 'dat ass.

reminds me a that time i dry-humped Klasna on the podium at a cx race down in san diego.


... good times.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

i thought olaf didn't race cross 'til he got to Reno??!!

my little pea brain can't handle incongruity...

X Bunny said...

you believe what he tells you?!

Dr. Xeno said...

Who names their kids George or Fred these days anyway?

I met Jackson Brown in clown suit; me not him. We were both very cool azbout it.