Monday, December 04, 2006

Mind Kaegels

or something like that.

Many of us spend a lot of time training our bodies for cycling but do we do enough training of our minds. This weekend I did a little of both...sort of.

It started while I was sitting on my trainer, grinding away and my mind began to wander. I started thinking about the upcoming season, places to attack and visualizing some finishing sprints. At some point I stopped and realized my adrenaline was pumping! I looked down to see my heart rate had jumped up 15 bpm but my power output hadn't changed. I took and deep breath and as the adrenaline dissipated my heart rate dropped back to the 'right' value.

So then I tried an experiment. I tried to think of the most peaceful thing I could, for me this was waves gently rolling onto a beach. Sure enough I looked down and my heart rate had dropped 5 bpm but my power output was the same.

Throughout the rest of my workout I continued to try to manipulate my heart rate by changing the images in my head. It was an interesting experiment.

Who knows, maybe with a little practice I will be able do something useful like bend a spoon.

3 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

isn't it funny how just standing on the start line will raise your hr 10-15bpm? think about how we'd all be more efficient racers if we could manage that.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

hey ... that's secret weapon stuff.


you stay outta there!

Anonymous said...

Did you say keg?

Word verification is "umnugtf"

I am going to use that to as a new cuss word.