Thursday, May 04, 2006

Rule Junkies...

It seems to me that those in our society who are the most obsessed with rules seem to have the most trouble following them. From the bedroom to the boardroom to the confessional, you show me a rule and I'll find you a rule book thumper who couldn't follow their own rules.

For example, this guy



seems to think he can rewrite or sidestep some of the basic rules upon which our country was founded. This guy,



on the other hand, just likes to break as many rules as he can.

So why do I mention this now? Well, there has been a great deal of discussion about immigration lately (did you notice?) and many Americans seem to be quite concerned with how the current population of undocumented immigrants arrived here. The response from the Rule Book Thumpers (RBT) is to suggest more rules (don't ask me how they will enforce them when they can't enforce the current rules in the book). But I'm willing to bet that most of the RBT's have participated in or benefited from the informal economy and so this all sounds like more hypocritical rhetoric.

No comments: