Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I know it's nice out but....

are you nuts?!!

In the last few days, while riding in the hills around the People's Repulic of Bezerkely, I've seen many riders without helmets. I'm not talkin about the bone-head campus commuter, I'm talkin about some of our local rising stars. Some seem to think their stem is more valueable than their head. Others, I assume, have confidence in their handling skills or perhaps they're having a dispute with their helmet sponsor. Having recently cracked my first helment, I'm sure it doesn't take much of a fall to turn a Strawberry into a Drooling Lemon Head See for yourself.

5 comments:

diskzero said...

I have noticed the same thing on this side of the bay. Maybe people are getting complacent.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

riding without a helmet = stupid

not only for yourself, but for any 9 year old who sees you and your fancy bike/kit/ego.

put your helmet on, wanker.

thanks for the post MerkeleyM - the gospel do need to be spread.

Gianni said...

Best visualization, drop a cantaloupe from 5 feet onto your driveway. Actually, I like cantaloupe and wouldn't waste a good one doing this, but if yer dumb enuf to not wear a helmet, it may help.

Dr. Xeno said...

Hey, to revise Woody Allen, my brain is my favorite organ (NOTE: I'm married, 2 kids).

Chico Cyclist said...

Yeah, I see the same thing here in Chico....and it's usually the so-called "best" riders in the area. I don't really understand it. Too cool for helmets??? I guess. But, you won't catch me not wearing one - after going helmetless as a Junior, I crashed hard one day on my head......only needed 12 stitches on the noggin. I was lucky.