Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Forced Free Range...


Alicat is reading the book Omnivore's Dilemma and it kindled a desire for 'grass fed beef'. On the way home today I stopped at Whole Paycheck in search of happy cow meat and overheard the following conversation...

Customer: Those are the best chickens right?

Butcher: Well, they aren't fed antibiotics or hormones but they are indoor chickens. Those over there are Free Range, they're indoor/outdoor chickens.

Customer: Hmmmm....

Butcher: To tell the truth, given the choice between indoors or outdoors most chickens will choose indoors. Outdoors can be kind of scary, things can get you if you're a chicken.


Makes me wonder if those Free Range Chickens are really all that happy (can chickens be happy?).

4 comments:

EB said...

Chickens can be happy, I think; I know they can be unhappy & when they are you better watch it.

They can also count. Seriously.

Merkeley Bike said...

My dog counts too....she always knows when there are a few kibbles missing from her bowl.

EB said...

And with a fuzzy face like that I'm sure she gets every last bit she missed!

Velo Bella said...

chickens can play tic tac toe too