Saturday, May 20, 2006

Lessons from Little M...

One of the great things about being a parent is I'm always learning. Over the last 8 years I've learned a lot about myself, about communication and sometimes less practical things.

Saturday is Soccer Day. Today, it took the girls a while to get into the game. Between Q1 and Q2 Little M and I had a conversation about the difference between playing soccer and watching. It was positive and focused on having fun (that's why we all do this stuff right?). When the girls did get warmed up and into the game they had some success and seemed to enjoy themselves more.

Later that day (while wearing my chauffer hat) I realized that I could have easily had the same playing/watching conversation with myself. You see, earlier this year I had a little success in a field sprint. Since then I've been convinced I should wait for the sprint but (surprise! surprise!) have not been able to duplicate my success. In hindsight, waiting for a sprint could easily be mistaken for watching everybody else race...from a front row seat.

From now on - More Racing, Less Watching.

6 comments:

Gianni said...

Yessssss!

Dr. Xeno said...

Yeah, also a good seat to watch the others waiting for a sprint too! Let us race.

Chico Cyclist said...

Race on!!

Ron Castia said...

Patience. 4s are more often than not a field sprint. I have read that a successful sprint starts on the backside of the course with a second jump inside of 200 meters. The first sprint is for position, the second is for the line.
I guess we best teach that which we most need to learn.

I had a lot of top 10s in the 4s just racing for the sprint.

Merkeley Bike said...

I'm still working on positioning in the last 5 laps. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't. Lately, it seems like I spend the last lap dodging the carnage of guys who can't turn a corner.

Lothar Glerbny said...

Oh, do I know the feeling! You know what I realized...I have been racing reactively instead of proactively.

If I sit in and wait for the "right time" I end up in the middle of those who are truly racing...you see, at this point I am just riding.

If I decide how I am going to RACE and when then they have to react to me! Now, this is not a formula for winning necessarily. There are those who will try to manipulate your plan and act on their own.

But, when I DID something...I either did well (Copperopolis, Santa Cruz, Modesto, Pac State, Madera) or felt like I gave it my best (Wente, Sea Otter). When I watched...well, not so good. Notice how the did well is more recent.

Good luck, race your race, and go when it is right for you, not when you have to because someone else did...