Tuesday, May 06, 2008

That's New...

When you've lived in Berkeley as long as I have, you are rarely surprised or even impressed by the little vignettes life offers on a daily basis. When I first started at Cal it was the Dot Man and the Bubble Lady. I still see the Bubble Lady once in a while. Then it was the naked guy (I guess he recently passed away). The other week a new character appeared...the skateboarding-clapping-dancing guy in pink Dolphin Shorts and knee high socks. It's hard to stand out in Berkeley so this guy claps really loud to make sure people notice him.

I frequently see atypical things while riding as well. Recently, you may remember my comments on the naked drummer practicing on Pinehurst. The turkeys population in the East Bay hills has exploded over the last few years and it's hard to ride these days without dodging a few turkeys along the way.

Well, they other day I had a new first sighting. I was climbing tunnel road and rounded a corner to meet a woman walking three llamas on leash. As I passed the human in the group made calming statements to the four legged beasts. One stopped to give me a once over and I did the same as I glided past. While I checked out his brown fuzziness and it examined my blue dotted self our eyes met and I'm pretty sure we shared a thought...'What are you lookin at Bozo?'


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The electrician in our building raises llamas and says that they are super territorial - like geese.

People here keep them to protect the other livestock from dogs and coyotes. Llamas can kill a coyote with one kick.

So, what I'm taking a really long time to say is, Stand Back!

place_holder said...

what? since when has the drummer on pinehurst taken off his clothes?!

~ lauren said...

i usually see the drummer topless.

but llamas! i'm going to keep my eyes peeled!

Allison Krasnow said...

Do you east bay folks know the pink skateboarder guy? He starting talking to me at Whole Foods the other night. I was exhausted and in no mood for goofy small talk. I smiled and kept shopping. He then blocked my path and said that had we been in NYC, he would have puched me. Huh??? Anyone else had weird experiences with him?

Barb said...

I've only been in Berkeley for two months and it was in the first month that I saw the skateboarder guy and llama walking couple. What delights await me?

Unknown said...

I wonder if the llamas are protecting the grass-chomping goats and sheep working the slopes around Tunnel Rd? Very cool.

I'll look for them today...

Itinerant Rick said...

Old memories; polka dot guy and bubble lady. And a few more. Definitely different up there. Llamas on leashes are new, however. A changing land scape in the land known as Bezerkeley.