Thursday, May 08, 2008

Calorie Counting


A bit of Thursday morning randomness.

After getting my weight lower than normal for San Dimas (no ice cream for 3 weeks prior...gasp), I have gained a few pounds over the last few weeks. It didn't really matter to me. Superweek is my next racing focus and the poundage doesn't matter as much there. And I like ice cream more than hill climbing anyway.

I then figured I'd better try my wedding dress on again as my final fitting was just before San Dimas and it was already crazy tight in the bodice. After her hot win at Cat's Hill, I figured if anyone could get those damn buttons to button it would be Eaken. So, we closed ourselves into the guest room and took a looksie at the dress.

It wouldn't button. Crap! I've got to lose those few pounds back and have another few ice cream free weeks.

So, I'm more aware of calories this month which brings me to this post. This is standardized testing week in the Berkeley schools, better known as Leave Every Poor Urban Child Behind.

I have a Costco-size bag of peanuts in my room so all my students can snack during the exams. Today, in less than 20 min., they consumed the entire bag. Hungry little buggers.

Catch this...
1 large bag of peanuts=
190 calories per serving
57 servings per bag
Eaten in 20min. amongst 15 students.

1) How many calories were eaten per student?
2) How many calories were eaten per student per second?

10 bonus points:
3) What percentage of a 12-year-old's daily caloric intake was consumed during this 20min. period.

And this was AFTER I had already passed out muffins and milk to everyone for breakfast.

And me? I'm sipping a peanut-free latte.

8 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

have you seen the show on the wedding channel....oh, what's it called? muffin-top bride or something like that. the premise is that a chubby bride-to-be is turned over to a personal trainer and a nutritionist with the goal of fitting into a wedding dress that's several sizes too small for her. the funniest part of the program is when they show the b-t-b binging on 100 krispy cremes or something like that.

chatterbox said...

alicat is responsible for the obesity of our urban youth!

good luck getting into the dress. I recommend lots of duck fat and glace on your honeymoon to compensate for your current deprivation!

Merkeley Bike said...

I'm sorry folks...please no talking during the test.

So:
1) 722 calories per student
2) 0.6 calories per student per second
3) About a third.

The bigger questions are:
1) How do they fill in those bubbles while opening peanuts?
2) What do they do with the shells?
3) What's the average flight speed of a southward migrating African swallow?

beth bikes! said...

damn, i was number crunching and had the answers just as you posted.

according to my research for caloric intake for a 12 yr old, the peanuts were between 34.3%-45.1% of daily needs.

if you add in the muffin and milk, it would be 54%-71%.

as for the wedding dress, i could probably scrounge up some safety-pins for race numbers in my room for you.

~ lauren said...

shelled peanuts!

my kids are allowed to chew gum during hell week.

fruits and crackers before the testing.

good luck with the weight! hopefully you guys don't have any gs cookies sitting around either.

Itinerant Rick said...

Does the classroom now look like one of those bars where everyone just tosses their peanut shells on the floor?

Allison Krasnow said...

Somehow I pulled off the peanut project without a single shell ending up on the floor. I used my best Ms. Krasnow voice and told them that every last shell needed to end up inside their paper towel or else they'd be cleaning tables at my wedding.

I was hoping to serve beer with those peanuts, but I had to settle for the latte.

The dress thing cracks me up. And I promsie to double down on the weight gain while we spend our 2 weeks in Provence in June...

X Bunny said...

eat to ride
ride to eat