Sunday, November 19, 2006

Losing our Cross Virginity

We came. We saw. We didn't sign up.
Well, we didn't intend to, not today at least. Yesterday's 5 hour epic ride of too, too many intervals on Diablo left us craving a spandex-free breakfast. We rolled out of bed, headed to Home Plate in SF for eggs benedict, bacon frittata, and scones and then scooted over to GG Park to catch the start of the masters Bs.

We had a fantastic time and walked away eager for RR season to begin. In the midst of it, we heard some of the Bs complaining about how the juniors shouldn't be racing with them since, "They're not really racing and they just get in our way and make it dangerous."

Ok, if it's dangerous to have them in your field, then let's talk about a separate start time. I can understand that. BUT...to say that they're not really racing (and to say it loud enough that a group of juniors 1ft. away from you can clearly hear you as you're POINTING to them) is so damn rude. There were plenty of juniors who kept their heart in the race far, far longer than a lot of the masters.

Speaking of which, my student, the 7th grader, raced his second cross race and was a star. Any thoughts on which juniors team he should join? I know nothing.

Onto the entertainment: This kid was mezmorized with Clover. I mean, most folks are mesmerized with our 'little bear,' but this kid took the cake. Clover, on the other hand, was mesmerized with the race, enough-so that a few times her tail almost took some riders out.
The action:




See Gianni Jump!






See Jeff Run!








See Ali and Mike having a lazy afternoon napping, building wheels, eating ice cream, and reading the Sunday paper after a hard morning of cross (imaginations required).

Phew...what a rough day!

8 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Was nice to see you two today. I waved, Alli didn't see me, Mike figured out who I was too late.....maybe next time we'll get to say hello.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

disrespectful masters racers ... pains in the ass.


hope the youngster finds a fun team to ride with. too early to join in the NorCal school mtb thingie?

EB said...

Bummed about the attitudes I'm hearing about from a particular field, but I guess there's a little of that in all of 'em.

We should do a minty 'cross day next year. I vote for the Halloween race because of the dance-related possibilities. How much fun would that be?

X Bunny said...

funny how you mighta walked by without us noticing eachother if our dogs hadn't wanted to say hi to eachother!

those poor junior racers--they need to give them their own race--heck, i wouldn't want to be on the course with the 35Bs!

and that course had soooo much singletrack that passing was very frustrating for everyone--not an excuse for bad sportsmanship

Merkeley Bike said...

Just saw an email...the youngster (the son of a minty sponsor) shattered AND dislocated his elbow. He had to have surgery.

Big time bummer!

Anonymous said...

First of all, when you switch to beta, some things suck.
I have written comments twice on this and lost em both times, but I digress.
Good to see you both yesterday, we need to get you both out there soon. Maybe a little East Bay action? Small fields, no prizes, sticky mud? mmmmmmmm
Bummer about the young racer, we need more time in the day for more fields, both C women and juniors.
My experience racing with juniors, both road and dirt- it is rarely the kids that are at fault.
I have been in several crits with the kids where they raced more like a team than all of the masters teams, yet the masters couldn't stop talking about the sketchy kids, WTF?
My perspective from the back yesterday- I passed kids whenever I needed to. There was one good line, but several decent lines if one looked for them.

Allison Krasnow said...

the kid who shattered and dislocated his elbow was the son of the owner of big swingin cycles. mike and i overheard a guy post-race saying that he had filed a complaint because some guy had purposefully PUSHED this kid (and several others) out of the way so he could pass them.

so not cool. so so so not cool. i dunno if they tracked down who he was...i hope so.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

I think the juniors should DEFINITELY have their own race. It does not have to be as long--I would think a 30 minute race would be appropriate. Junior road events are shorter than senior races, shouldn't cross races be? Of course, there are juniors who can be competetive in senior events, and they should be and are able to do so.

But to have small young children on the course while adults are racing is at worst dangerous and at best scary. I can only imagine what it is like to have people three times my size and going twice as fast as me flying by all around...

It is up to the promoter to offer this up, though. I have to think there could be an extra 30 minutes in the day somewhere...

Someone remind me to bring it up with The Simpsons next time I see them...