Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Burrrrr

This morning wasn't like every other morning.
On every other morning, I get up at 5:40am to bike.
This morning I got up at 5:40am.

But, this morning wasn't like every other morning.
On every other morning, I put on every damn windproof garment I've got.
This morning I put on every damn windproof garment.

But this morning wasn't like every other morning.
This morning it was 36 degrees when I left the house at 5:55am and still 36 degrees when I returned at 7:35am.
This morning I wore ski clothes.
This morning it magically seemed to stay dark, damn dark, much longer than usual.

As I left the house I wondered why I had moved to California from Chicago, since it felt just as cold as a Chicago morning.

But then, while biking past the Richmond Marina, I realized one of the many differences between a November morning in Chicago and a November morning in California:



8 comments:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

the boats all sink in Chicago for some reason?

Merkeley Bike said...

Anticipation of things to come!

Anonymous said...

burrr. i'm having a hard time getting motivated for the cold at lunch time.

you strong woman!

EB said...

It was freezing when I left this morning, too, right about when you were coming home. I wore my motorcycle gloves instead of my cycling gloves.

5:55, though? You're more a woman than I am.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

it's waaaayyy too cuddly warm in the bed at 6 in the AM to be out riding a bike.

i'm soft!

Allison Krasnow said...

lauren: strong? no, just busy with no other free time.

Ms. E: I could use a pair of your gloves. Being warm is all about the ski-wear.

Olaf: Mike tried that one on me yesterday! I should have listened!

X Bunny said...

i don't know how olaf could be soft--all skin and bones like that...

Anonymous said...

hi! i got your comment on my mtb post - i am 5'3"
ok
thanks!
courtenay