Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Weekend with the 'rents

For many weeks Mike and I have been working on our climbing skills, not by ridding hills, but by counting calories. So it's been a while since we've really indulged ourselves in rich desserts. Wine, yes. We've managed to keep it on the 'good' list, but desserts, those where you want to lick the bowl for more, have been scarce.

My parents were in town from Chicago this weekend and we headed to Mezze, a Middle-Eastern restaurant in Lake Merrit which had good food, and AMAZING desserts. In addition to the moulten chocolate cake with carmel milkshake, and warm bread pudding, we had this butterscotch pot d'crem which was to die for. Mike and I fought over the last bite. Wow.

On Sunday, after dodging rush hour traffic, we headed to Alcatraz. I was struck by the guard to prisoner ratio 1:3. So interesting when compare to my teacher to student ratio 1:150. Yes, though there are only 30 of them in the room at a time, I have 150 students who I see each day. Damn the prison system for coming up with the money to have a 1:3 ratio. Can you imagine how our schools would look if we priotitized our budget in the same way?

1 comment:

EB said...

Yum. We're gonna try that place soon...actually, lately I have been drying my own fruits & I find that if you have control over how much you dry the fruits you can make them taste like candy. Just a thought.

Missed you on Saturday.