Monday, July 14, 2008

$150 and a Slice of Pie

Day 1 of Superweek: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

THE GOOD:
Mike enjoyed a rare small field of in a masters’ race. Intolerant of the predominance of negative racing, he spent well over 50% of the race on the front of the field, singlehandedly chased down the break, rode the last 5 laps as the exclusive man on the front, and still was able to unleash his sprint for 3rd. That was the first $60 for the coffers. Then, in some crazy stroke of Midwestern kindness, the guy (pictured in the photo)who won came up to Mike and insisted that he keep his $90 of winnings. Huh? He was so thankful for Mike keeping the pace high for the last few laps and said that he had done no work the entire race and Mike deserved his winnings. Damn, that’s some generous Midwestern guilt.

THE BAD:
I went home with a huge slice of humble pie. This was my first non-local P-1-2 race and the first where the P category was represented in good standing. It hurt. I got dropped. All I can say is that is WAS NOT fun to hurt that much and eventually (after less minutes than there are ounces in a Venti Starbucks coffee), I just didn’t want to do it anymore. Elis gave me some very sound advice this evening and I promise to not be such a pain-wuss tomorrow. I have been practicing my suffer-face in front of the mirror all evening. Actually, I think the suffer was induced by the gargantuan chocolate chip cookie which I had after dinner, but I’m not so sure.

THE UGLY:
Starla and Ali. Here’s basically how the race went for us both. Wanna guess which of us kicked ass today?

6 comments:

Itinerant Rick said...

Practice the pain face? I see some sort of face everytime you race on the track. Perhaps that is the face of determination, but I will need to see the pain face version so I can compare.

Emily said...

Good for you for getting out there and giving it your best.

Maybe you had too much fun, food and wine on your honeymoon as you are fully capable of racing with all those girls.

It's a long week, so don't get discouraged yet.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

today is a new day and another race and one more chance to get in there and mix it up.

beth bikes! said...

yay midwestern guilt, baby!

yeah, it is a long week...as fred always tells me, SAVE ONE FOR THE GIPPER!

Allison Krasnow said...

thanks ya'll.
i stayed in longer today, and hopefully the form is coming. i think emily hit the nail on the head...
wed. i'm going for the whole shabang.

but our own karla kingsley won today out of a 2 woman break which practically lapped the field!

chatterbox said...

bummer on the droppage. Hang in there, though. I know you are as fit as Starla, Karla, et al. You just have to bring the form back after the decadence of France. :)