Monday, June 23, 2008

Le travel to France



Many moons ago, when we planned our honeymoon, Mike suggested (in fact, strongly encouraged) that we fly first class. Despite us having enough frequent flier miles between us for 2 first class tickets to Europe, I was hesitant. I know you’re thinking I’m an idiot for being so frugal, but I thought that we shouldn’t use so many miles on a single trip.

Thanks to Mike, we are celebrating our honeymoon in style, and had a lovely night at the Four Seasons Lufthansa in ‘rooms’ 4A and 4B. I have never flown first class before and frankly, it makes me want to bid adeau to developing young mathematical minds in Berkeley and say ‘yes I do’ to being an investment banker for a firm wealthy enough to send me around the world in first class. The continual refill of Champagn, then Riesling, and finally Bailey’s were a fine trio of drinks. They perfectly accompanied our grilled jumbo shrimp with mango salsa, grilled salmon with fava and celeric root puree, raisin bread pudding, and cheese plate. The most difficult decision of the evening was which of the 50 movies to choose from the On Demand movies shown on my individual video screen. And finally, my ergometric seat reclined into a bed, with subtle adjustments for lumbar support while massaging my lower back. Eureka!

We are now in Frankfurt, awaiting our flight to Pairs. I have two favorite parts of this airport. First, there are these jail cells for smokers…enclosed, individual glass cages where you can be seen and gauked at by the passing tourists as you puff your heart out. And the bikes! This airport is enormous, larger than the state of Delaware, and the airport workers are all scurrying around on these folding bicycles. Give ‘em fixies and they’d be ready for the track in no time.

3 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Good for you guys. You only live once and you don't want to look back on your lives with regret of what you could have done.

T and I were married at such a young age that our honeymoon consisted of a free trip to Tahoe that I got with the tux rental.

Enjoy!

EB said...

Sounds absolutely heavenly.

How is the wine?

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

the photo is priceless. are you both wearing HR monitors?