Friday, July 06, 2007

Runners' High


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and sorry I could not travel both...
If asked what was the best part of our trip to Italy, I think I just might respond, "The roads."

My reply would now be the same if asked some of the things I love about living in northern California.

I'm here in Chicago, Evanston, to be specific, visiting family and have just realized how spoiled we are to have the endless bike-able roads on varied terrain that we have back 'home.' The other day I went for a long walk along the lagoon which parallels Lake Michigan out by Northwestern University. I watched the sunrise over the lake. It was beautiful and I spent several solitary moments blissfully sitting on the rocks watching daybreak. As beautiful as it was, I wondered where I would walk the following day, since the path along the lake is really the only quiet place for walking.

Today, I went for a 30 mile spin on a bike path which spans at least 15 miles, through a lovely wooded forest between Chicago and its northern suburbs. It was lovely. But I wonder where I will ride tomorrow.

I now see why close to 30,000 people do the Chicago marathon and a tiny fraction of that number race their bikes. It's all about the roads.

Mike, though, would argue that this has something to do with it too:

1 comment:

~ lauren said...

yeah, we are super lucky to have the weather we do. i can't imagine living in a colder area.

sometimes we talk about moving to tahoe, but snow in the winter?