Sunday, February 25, 2007

Twas the night before Snelling...

and all through the inn, not a creature was sleeping over the traffic din.

Trains, rains and highway 99 traffic. Oh yea, it's racing season.

A late arrival in Snelling meant no warm up for me. It might not have been a problem, except that I dropped my chain within the first 20 minutes of the race. It fell over the big ring and got tangled up around the pedal spindle. I stopped to put it back on, but the untangling took a solid minute. Our follow motorcycle literally laughed out loud at me when I looked back and said, "You're gonna pull me back to the pack, right?" After he zoomed off, I knew I had my work cut out for me. I dug deep for an Ironman TT, but never caught the pack (despite some solid interval work).

I did, though, catch at least 15 OTB riders along the way. Each time, I yelled for them to get on my wheel, promising them that I would pull them back into the pack as long as they could take short pulls after my long pulls. No one lasted on my wheel for more than 30sec. Argh! Each time I approached another OTB rider, my 2 theme songs for the day gained a thunderous pulse...Mike and the Mechanics: "All I need is a miracle, all I need it you..." and Arthea's: "You need me; and I need you; without each other there ain't nothing we can't do..."

Apparently they were listening to another channel. Alas. It was a lovely TT. I sat in with the men's 3s for a brief bit and did the same with the masters 1-2-3s. I was bored, but got a damn good workout.
Julie took a phenomenal 2nd place and I'm so sad to have missed it! Post-race I spent the pm watching the big girls and the masters 35+ 4/5s have a go at it. Despite the excitement of the races (Mike's EMCers took 1-2 in the 35+ race), the real party was back at our car:

8 comments:

~ lauren said...

ah man! bummer!

at least you got a good workout, eh? and it didn't rain.

and it sux when you can't get anyone to work with you!

Gianni said...

somebody got a haircut!

On for next week of more bees and TT's?
Good job staying with it!

yellowbug said...

oh I wanted to ask how the race went for you! I know you would have done great - you look super fit on your bike! Thanks for "pinging" my blog for me!

X Bunny said...

that was the same moto that couldn't control a cat 4 promenade, right?!

Allison Krasnow said...

xb: oh yes...same moto :)
he smiled. then laughed. then sped away.

EB said...

Sorry I had to miss that one!

Mr. Mariano has some super-tough photos of you, Ms. Cat.

Dr. Xeno said...

Yeah, you were still smilin' as we made our accidental drive on the course! We shoulda moto-paced, except it's cheating... dang, the Merkeley Cat combo has some pedals to turn in anger next event! I hope I'm there for it!

Ron Castia said...

Warm up? That's what the promenade and immediate attack is for.