Saturday, February 17, 2007

Pomegranate Margarita

While it seems that the rest of you bloggers are searching for an In and Out in Coalinga, we are doing our share of heavy drinking. Last night it was many glasses of sangria, followed by a ginger mojito and a capirina. Tonight we stuck with the pomegranate margaritas.

Or was it a recover-ita?

Yesterday Mike's chain ring dedcided that it had seen its last miles so he had it replaced at a local shop. They recommended that we join them on their Saturday morning group ride. We balked at the 7am start time, but somehow, after all those drinks, we went to bed convinced that this was the ride for us.

We got a few confused looks as this was a small ride of locals, but after an hour of taking our share of pulls and keeping a steady line, the guys seemed to warm up to us. They turned back home after two hours, but not before describing the remainder of a beautiful 70 mile loop. My prescribed workout included some long climbing intervals, so we tuned the 70 mile loop into a 85 mile ride by heading up and down this one climb 4 times. Good lord, can you say epic?

BUT, I had a new toy to keep me occupied. Mike gave it to me yesterday for my birthday. He apologized for not giving me a romantic gift, but considering that he built the wheel himself, it's pretty darn romantic for this biker. Shazam!

And no, those watts aren't from my hill intervals. But I wish they were.




10 comments:

Chris said...

If you ever get to Austin, have a Jalapeno margarita. They are superb.

If those were your Watts - WOW!

Gianni said...

Sounds very nice!

I hear the weather is in the 80's down there.

And that's a very cool toy!

~ lauren said...

happy birthday! sounds like you guys are having fun in the warm weather!

margaritas and then 85 miles! good lord!

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

happy birthday! what a great gift. nothing says "I love you" like a hand-built wheel (especially a pt one).

Marco Fanelli said...

Glad you enjoyed SB! For future reference, the 7:00 AM group is always a lot smaller than the 8:00 group (for obvious reason in my opinion). You must have done the Casitas loop and around Ventura (?) I bet all the other 7-AM'ers turned around 'cause they were doing Pine Flat... what babies! :)

Yes, Fastrack is the best shop. Dave is great, but Luke will try to sell you a bike if you go in to buy a tube.

X Bunny said...

fellow aquarian

Dr. Xeno said...

Sweet trip! Hand-built PT - stinks of romanc! Hey, save some juice for Senlling, or however it's mispelt this year. It's 'caiparinas'... I think. Another mottled cocktail.

Merkeley Bike said...

Marco...sorry we missed you on the 7 am group.

Funny, Luke tried to sell me some Ksyrium wheels with my new chain ring.

X - I'll have something left in the tank for Senling.

Gianni said...

I'm looking at that picture and thinking...
as good as senling will be, Merco may be betta.
And we gotta talk about CVC.

EB said...

Yay!

I have a not-so-romantic hub that I'm trying to get set up. It's in a wheel already, but I have to make sure that it's working...stupid ebay...we can have watt-offs if I get mine working, though!