Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Winterbike

I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods but it's been cold here in Bezerkeley the last few days. I'm sure some of you out there are up to your chamois in snow but you won't get any sympathy from me. In your neck of the woods it comes with the territory (trust me I know). Over here in the East Bay we've grown accustomed to our short thermometer, the Bay normally does a great job of modulating our temperatures. But every once in a while the jet stream does a somersault and we get a cold blast from the north.

A little over a week ago we made a quick trip to the burbs of the Windy City. While walking around town we saw a few cyclists braving the elements. I remember noting that I couldn't ride in that cold. It was the kind of cold that just starts to give you that crackly sinus feeling and hurt your lungs when you breath hard. Little did I know that Mother Nature would send us our own little taste of the cold.

And yet I can't help notice that I've become a little 'soft' where the weather's concerned. Growing up in the Midwest you got used to cold winters with bitter, biting winds blowing across frozen ground. When the temperatures peeked above 40 we would shed our winter coats and play soccer in Willow Creek Park. Now 40 degree temps have me looking for another layer. I guess the bloods gotten thin.

So while we wait for these Northern lows to pass through I'll do my riding in the garage.

PS Thanks to big sis and the folks at Iowa City Bike Library for orchestrating the t-shirt delivery...it's my new fave.

2 comments:

Itinerant Rick said...

When I lived in snow country I would ride most of the time, except for when the roads got good and icy. I wonder if I would still ride in those conditions if I still lived where it snowed. But given the weather forecast I might get an opportunity to give it a go on Friday. Maybe I need to find a set of Nokians to put on one of the bikes.

~ lauren said...

brrrr! that first pic is making me cold just looking at it.

i'm such a wimp. i'd never ride in the snow. last year when i was in toronto i was just amazed at how many people were out and about in the freezing cold and snow RIDING bikes.

but then again, i remember that i got in the pool when i was there and it was outside.