Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Gone Postal


Over the holidays we received this notice in the mail. It took me a while to figure out what it was. At first I thought they were warning me I had a dangerous dog. The warning notes the dog is in the back yard and I wondered why the postman was in the back yard when the mail box is at the front door. Then I realized that it wasn't supposed to be delivered, it's a warning card for the mail carriers.

I wondered who could possibly think our dog is 'Dangerous'. Those of you who've met our dog know she's the biggest goof on the planet. Her only threat to humans is to their knees as she tries to get closer to them for a better back or belly rub. Sure she's big but if you know even rudimentary 'dog speak' you immediately see that 'threatening' isn't in her vocabulary.

Then I remembered our mail carrier from a couple of years ago. The poor guy was terrified of dogs (rumor had it he was bit once). He refused to deliver mail to our neighbors for a while because their dog barked at him through the fence. (Her distaste for the carrier may have had something to do with the fact that he maced her through the fence). Anyway, one day I was taking Goofball for a walk and let her out the door without a leash. Unfortunately it was the exact moment the carrier was walking up the driveway. Goofball bounded down the stairs with her normal 'lets play' air about her but the poor guy just about dropped a load on the spot. He started to reach for his mace and yelled at me. I apologized and told Goofball to lie down. I was a little worried about the repercussions but after a few days thought it must have blown over.

Little did I know he was keeping records on me. Makes me wonder what other mail carrier warning cards there are out there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Is this the same guy that MASED YOUR NEIGHBORS DOG THROUGH THE FENCE?

In any case, I don't understand why someone who is terrified of dogs has a job as a postman.

Merkeley Bike said...

I assume it was the same guy with the itchy mace finger. He isn't our mail carrier anymore but he was the only mail carrier who had any interaction with the dog.

Maybe he's back in the mail room now.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure misusing the power of public job to exact a personal vendetta is a federal crime. I think I would call the Post Office and tell someone up the chain of command the whole story, with special emphasis on the part about masing through the fence.

EB said...

Somebody is scared of "let me love you" Clover? It it April Fools' or something?

AB said...

Yeah - you gotta see the story I just posted today on my blog about our our goofball lab that bit our postal carrier yesterday. Apparently he has been growling at her through the fence for some time but they never mentioned that before. Anyway, she REACHE OVER OUR FENCE???? to place a parcel on top of the rock basket that braces the gate yesterday and he bit her. Uh, duh, if the dog is growling, he is warning you not to approach him or intrude....maybe just leave the package NEAR the gate instead of reaching over? I was still in shock because I NEVER would have thought this dog would EVER bite anyone. People come in our gate all the time and although he barks I have never heard him growl at anyone and certainly not bite or snap. Anyway, despite all the "training" carriers supposedly get, they don't seem to make very good decisions at times when it comes to dogs.