Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rivers and Mountains


Racing on Sunday was a blast!! I love the the attacking style of racing here. I missed the main break in each of my races. I tried to bridge to each but my attempts came up a few watts short each time. Another great thing about racing here is that it doesn't end until you cross the finish line. Even if the winning break is well out of reach the attacks continue, endlessly. My highlight Saturday was reaching 38 mph in the sprint. Sunday I had a good time working with the chase group and then working them over when we decided the case was over. (You can see a few short race video clips here.)


After the racing on Sunday Ali and I took the train to Venice for a day off the bike. We spent Monday walking the streets old narrow streets, searching out good food, taking in the sites, drinking too much wine and doing a little shopping. It was my first trip to Venice, Ali’s second…it was fun for a day but a day was all we needed.





Yesterday it was back to the bike. We drove an hour Northwest into the Dolomites near the town of Feltre. After a little warm up spin for a few miles along the more gentle parts of the climb we started our serious assault up the Passo Rolle. About an hour and 20 minutes later we reached the top and enjoyed the rewards for our efforts.




Today we were going to climb Monte Grappa...but the storm clouds on top of the mountain is calling for a change in plans.


More later...

4 comments:

Chris said...

Cool videos. That switchback looked awesome. Was the ride along part shot with a helmet cam?

I agree on Venice. Once was enough for me.

Pat Carroll said...

This is Pat, the Velo Veneto director....actually, I rode at the back of that pack (for a lap for warmup and took one still shot of Ali, then thought I'd try a video....a bit dangerous, but worth it for her !

Ciao

Dr. Xeno said...

Luv the reports! you guys looked way pro out there; or at least supergentlemanly!

EB said...

Just reading the word "grappa" makes me feel a little queasy...