Thursday, June 14, 2007

Felled by a log...

That's right, that's what I said.

Not 'meld with the blog' or 'smelled like a frog'.

F-in Felled by a log...that's what happened to me today. Riding down Tunnel Rd, minding my own business. Trying to sneak in one more workout before packing the bici in the box. In fact, I was done, heading down the hill trying to make the year-end-middle-school picnic. All of a sudden the tree worker up the steep hill starts yelling, the dude on the road holds up his hands imploring me to stop while watching his back. I grab a fist full of break and look uphill for what's crashing through the brush. A log, big enough to be a foot stool, comes bouncing down the hill like a crazy football making a bee line for the end zone, only this bouncing foot stool has drawn a bead on me. Next thing you know I'm lying on the deck in need of a new fork and maybe a bar of soap in my mouth.

I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. My main concern is can the awesome guys at Montagna Della Bici get the new fork installed before the flight leaves on Sabato. They say 'no sweat'...they haven't let me down yet! Thanks guys.


No, that's not the same broken fork picture from last year.
Look closely and you can see some Eucalyptus embedded in the carbon.


I must have a serious karma debt to the Goddess of Carbon.

12 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

holee shyte

marscat said...

what are the odds?

just the other day coming home, some construction worker guy chucks something out a window and almost hit me.

have fun on your trip.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

dude! you're lucky you got off with a broken fork. yikes!

Chris said...

That is just bad luck. Luckily that thing didn't take a bead on your nuts.

EB said...

Wow. That is crazy. I will no longer feel overly paranoid when passing by any form of construction on Tunnel...

Ron Castia said...

Who is paying for it?
Sounds like they did not have proper advanced warning signs. There are State standards for properly signing a construction area. There are also State standards for lane closure.

I often see tree trimmers neglecting those standards.

Anonymous said...

Whoa!

And just yesterday I was telling someone mountain biking was safer than road biking because trees don't try to run you over.

You proved me wrong!

Merkeley Bike said...

Nome: There were no signs or traffic controls, no safety equipment...nothing. Just two guys and a couple of chain saws. I'm sure they were violating all kinds of State requirements and OSHA regulations. I called Oakland PD but they didn't want to send anyone out. The dispatcher said it sounded like a 'Civil Matter'.

The landscaper is paying for the bike repair.

Chico Cyclist said...

Wow - hey, at least you caught the fork problem as soon as it happened. Man, it could have been so much worse. Glad that you are okay.

Johnny GoFast said...

Did any tree huggers perched up in the tree get hurt?

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

yikes!

X Bunny said...

glad you are ok