Sunday, March 04, 2007

Que Paso?

Today's 3/4 field at Merco felt sketchier than anything I've done before. It felt like a lot of negative racing with around 10 of us who were willing to work and around 40 others who were content in the peanut gallery, spread every which way along the road. Those of you who were there, correct me if I'm wrong, but all the mid-race conversations I had seemed to assure me that I wasn't the only one who thought this.



But, among our blogger community, I have a lot to be thankful for today, so here's my top 10:


10) To Andrea for getting the ice cream bar at the gas station which inspired Mike and I to do the same.

9) To Mike for loading the cases of Metromint in the car which came in handy at the impromptu EMC/Metromint/Left Coast Quizmo's post-race gathering.

8) To Deb for looking out for our safety and encouraging me to help her stretch the pack out early on in lap 1.

7) To Erica and Linda for inspiring me by racing with the 45+ men.

6) To Sabine for her wise 411 on the important course features, keeping us on our toes by attacking several times, and for joining in my suffering up the climb on the last lap. You were amazing.

5) To Heather, for finding me before every crucial part of the course on the first lap so I'd know what was coming up.

4) To Vera for twice attacking before the corners which gave me a fast, safe wheel around the turns.

3) To Mike for being willing to go out for ice cream twice today.
2) I'm thankful that the Bella who went down next to me with 200m to go is ok. Who was she? Let me know how she's doing.

1) And most of all, I'm thankful to have stayed safe in what felt like stop & go rush hour traffic.

I'm upgrading this week (!!) and could definitely use some lessons in how to stay near the front without spending too much time on the front. I worked hard today...in the end, too hard as I couldn't quite hang onto the deciding split a few rollers before the finish. But I was among the top 5 wheels for virtually the entire race (of course, it's only the end which matters). It was hard work to stay there, but the rest of the pack simply felt too sketchy for me. I need to learn to be more efficient up there as I covered one too many surges and had nothing left in at the end. It was a good learning experience and I'm looking forward to Zamora.

Words of wisdom???

17 comments:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

I'm gettin me a sloth bike....

crashed bella was Sue L.

she had skinned up elbows and knees, but seemed otherwise Ok after the race.

But what a bummer that was.

Chris said...

Ice cream seems to be an important part of your race day. :) Glad you make it through the race safe and sound.

X Bunny said...

congrats on the upgrade!!

even though i learned a lot, i'm glad that race is over!

Gianni said...

Excellent water and directions!

Anonymous said...

congrats on your upgrade!

marscat said...

the men's race was fun and fast but had it's moments of sketchiness...but the guys were cool and one seemed to be looking out for me.

good job on your race. i like being toward the front, if i can. the middle usually freaks me out, and the back can be hard, but as someone told me, maybe safer, because those in the back are pretty much content to be right where they are.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

congratulations!

I won't do Mclance/Merco. Too dangerous with 100 women. We've had women in serious crashes every year.elm

Anonymous said...

the road race was sketchier than the crit...I expected the other way around

EB said...

I second what Mars says, be near the front more. Also, know your competition -- there are a few riders I won't ride near because I know I can't trust them.

Congrats on the upgrade! We'll have to celebrate extra this weekend :).

Ippoc Amic said...

Congrats on the upgrade...

Velo Bella said...

woop woop! That was some gosh darn fun racing.

This weird thing happened to me on the second lap. I wasn't afraid anymore. It was a freaky feeling. I sort of saw everything happening in almost slow motion. Slow enough that I could react if I needed to. Girls were screaming (slowing!! that kills me, like duh...we're slowing I can see that) bottles were flying, wheels were overlapping, brakes were squealing. And I was just riding through it all happy like. And i was loving it. It was sort of fun.

Maybe something naughty was in my GU.

Congrats on the upgrade!

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i never did get any mintyH2o ... dammit.


way to ride hard out there, tough girl!

zamora, here we come.

Allison Krasnow said...

thanks ya'll
pab: will ya build me up a sloth bike too? mike said we have room for 1 more frame in the garage...

AND GIRL SCOUT COOKIES ARE IN!! when do you race next?

Gianni: and excellent lunch suggestion from the boys in the back.

VB: you were fantastic out there. it was fun to watch you take control. can i have some of that Gu?

Olaf: Menlo Park & Zamora. We'll get a minty-fresh grin all over ya.

Unknown said...

It was great eating ice cream and racing with you, Ali. Thanks again!

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Hey, Ali! Are you racing CAT3 or CAT4 at Menlo Park -- I've got you registered as a 4 but I can fix that.

Allison Krasnow said...

Lori:
A 4 please. I'm gonna send it into Casey right after the race as I promised my teammates I'd do this one as a 4 with them. Thanks for the switcheroo offer.

shawnkielty said...

I am getting a sloth bike -- I like that cartoon.