Monday, September 04, 2006

Choices we make

So, I've been absent from the blog-world for the last two weeks as I started a new job. After 6 years of teaching 4th and 5th grade, I decided that I needed a new challenge: teaching 7th grade math. This new job comes after a year hiatus from teaching where I 'went to the other side,' doing math reform work for UC Berkeley. After 3 days back in the classroom last week, I realized that I was a wee-bit rusty.

The funny part is that as much as I am quite excited to be teaching again, I have to continuously remind myself that returning to the classroom was a choice. I mean, if I chose to do this, why in the world am I so damn nervous every night before I go to bed.

So, in the hopes of easing these Monday night jitters, Mike and I are home with two movies and a load of take out from the Italian joint up the street.

Oh yea, and there was a bike race today. SUCH fun! We grabbed not one, but two $100 primes in the W4 race, among many other things. We 4s have never laid eyes on such cash in a race before! You Bag Boys made it clear that you don't just have the legs, but infinite race wisdom and mo-jo backing you up. Congrats on a great race. Mike and I saved you all from many furious cab drivers who tried to mow you (and us, the marshals) down on corner 4. Good lord were they feisty! But consequently, we weren't there at the finish so we missed all the finesse of the final 1/2 lap. We'd love details.

8 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

You Minty Chicks put on a fabu race as always. Thank you and congratulations!

Allison Krasnow said...

VG: Menlo Park was a blast with such great prizes for women. YOU guys have the fabu race coordination which the rest of us can only hope to aspire to.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

great seeing you guys out there...

thanks for all the work at the race...thanks to all the minties!

Gianni said...

I think the reason you're nervous is because you care about the job you're doing.
Sounds like you guys put on a fantastic race in a tough venue.
Way to go!

X Bunny said...

you girls were so cute in your blue spots and orange vests....

and you waved those flags like no other marshals i've seen...!

EB said...

What was it with the cars?!? First thing I saw when I arrived was two luxury sports cars moving cones & doing whatever they wanted.

Having personally walked the course last week telling folks that the race was happening I was quite miffed. At least the marshalls were on top of it -- thanks for watching out for us!

Merkeley Bike said...

Heading for the Bay Club I bet. Most people seemed fine with the detour but there were three groups who seemed put out.

a. TV personalities from ABC (or whatever it was).
b. Cabbies - I think we ruined their favorite short cut.
c. Folks headed for the Bay Club.

The cabbies and reporters tied for being the most frustrated.

Anonymous said...

The race was fun! The announcers were hilarious and thanks for the minty water!