Monday, July 17, 2006

A Foray to the Suburban Jungle...But Anyway

I don't like San Josey much, in fact ... not at all. I know some great people who live and work down there but damn if that place doesn't suck. Most of the people just rub me the wrong way...it's like SmellA without the beach. Last night we ventured to the SJ zone to visit the Mountain Winery and see Blues Traveler and my opinions were just reinforced.

Normally the MW is a great place to watch a show but last night I felt like we were watching the show at Chevy's. The crowd was diverse, Rockers, surfers, groupies, yuppies, Sweet Talking Hippies all made for good people watching. There was also a new element - lots of families with kids. Dad's still in their golf attire, mom's in their garden party sun dresses with the kids in tow. Cool, broadening horizons.

After the warmup band two couples sat behind us and as luck would have it it was Chatty Cathy and her friends. The speed and volume of speech was amazing. I found myself wondering how they were breathing. Ali and I hoped they would quiet down once the show started...no such luck. They talked about volleyball, Tina Turner's legs, being pregnant at the Tina Turner show...blah blah blah. I tried to focus on the show (which was great). Then Cathy's man had the nerve to summon an usher and complain that there were people standing in front of them. YOU'RE at a rock concert...people stand, sing along, dance. Why they cared if someone was standing is beyond me, they weren't watching the show they were talking about babysitters. Anyway, I decided if it was ok to ask people to sit then it was ok for me to ask them to be quiet and they did...mostly.

In the middle of the show about half the crowd decided to head home: bed time for kids, reality TV, too much rock and roll. Then the rest of us were able to enjoy the show and dance in the half filled aisles.

Blues Traveler is awesome! Fun show!

1 comment:

EB said...

They are such a fun, danceable band. Sounds like a great time!