Sunday, June 04, 2006

What do you have....

when out of 60 guys 20 think they can sprint like Petachi but they all forgot their lead out trains? Give up? It's a Masters 35+ 4/5 (Pro) race!

Here is how a Master's 35+ 4/5 (Pro) race unfolds:
First 40 minutes a few guys attack, the rest of the pack chases them down. With 10 laps to go everyone starts to conserve energy. When the laps cards change to 3 all 20 Petachi want to be's surge to third wheel (even if they have been dangling off the back the first 40 minutes and are going cross eyed to get there). They've all watched enough OLN to know they shouldn't be first wheel so they hit the brakes and INSERT themselves into position! Inevitably, McEwen bumps O'Grady but in this case neither has the skills to handle the contact...lines shift, wheels skid, dominos fall.

Today's race in Santa Rosa unfolded exactly according to the script. Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of the pile of dominos (actually, one of the last to fall...no colorful injuries this time but I may need to restock the Ibuprofen). Sigh...being in or behind crashes in 3 of my last 5 races starts to take the fun out of this crit stuff.

In hindsight I never should have raced today. Bad sleep, bad legs, bad attitude (blah, blah, blah)...I didn't do $#!+ so I should have stayed home and done some couchervals. As of moment Fremont next weekend is up in the air.

9 comments:

Allison Krasnow said...

Luckily you DID have those couchervals this afternoon...there are 2 empty ice cream pints to show for it, along with empty Barney's burgers boxes. Oh, and two Tevo shows were watched, eh? One was cycling, which you could claim raised your HR with the battle between DZ and GH, but the other, So you think you can dance. was a damn well fought coucherval. We deserve a rest week after that one.

Comparing the cross-eyed-yo-yo-off-the-back of the pack guys who came storming up the inside of the pack with 2 to go to McEwen and O'Grady was quite generous of you.

Not quite as generous, though, as the mix up in the results of the W3/4 race today where somehow, someone didn't remember that BBelf was in the small break which lapped the pack and mistakenly gave away her 2nd place money to a gal who had a fine sprint, but finished with us in the main pack.

I think blocking is my new favorite sport. In a way, it's just like couchervals...

Merkeley Bike said...

Damn, is that what you were watching? Sorry I missed it, I was ... uhhh ... busy helping Little M with her diarama and didn't really notice what was on the tube.

Gianni said...

Cat Dooley Rocks!
4/5 racing, sadly, does not at times.
I was hoping to hear about the little break that could today, not argie-bargie crashy crash.
You needed some backup to stretch em today.
Whats this I hear about fresh minty control of a entire race?
Nice!

Allison Krasnow said...

Yep--Elis got in a break really early on and the other 3 of us Minties block-itty-blocked and covered all attempted attacks and next thing you know, bout 30 minutes later, she and he break lapped us. She saved my butt cause the two 30+ non 3/4s in our race were speedy. Blocking was a lot easier than hanging on with them leading us around!

EB said...

Oh, my god, I LOVE so you think you can dance. Such a train wreck & definitely one of my guilty pleasures.

Still no word from the team of the prize-jacker. We'll see...at least we know who she is!

That was a great race; thanks for the help! Bret said that you guys slowed it to a real crawl, which is just what we needed. Okay, I say we but I mean I. Definitely the weak link in that break.

Blocking used to be my favorite part, too, but I have to tell you; these break things are growing on me...

EB said...

Oh, and M -- that sucks about another crash. Bah!

diskzero said...

Nice description. My strategy, which is not a winners strategy I guess, is to just go to the front on the final couple of laps and work super hard. I never, ever win, I know guys are riding my wheel, put I am almost always up there. I try to console myself by saying I did honest work, blah blah blah. Avoiding the crashes is a nice benefit too.

diskzero said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
diskzero said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.