Monday, June 26, 2006

Weekend Update

We spent a lot of time the saddle this weekend. Good thing today is a rest day!

It all started on Friday when Melissa joined us for ourrace prep. What a treat! It was great to share an hour on the bike.

Saturday we headed off to Pescadero. Even though this is a 'climbers' race, AC had hoped to do well; I was just hoping to postpone the inevitable as long as possible.

AC was having a good race until a flat fiasco ended it one climb early. I was dropped earlier than I had hoped, spent half a lap chasing a pack that was tantalizingly close but out of reach. As I finished the last climb the leaders of the fast geezer race went flying by. Nice job by teammate NP! I also saw OV in hot pursuit.

AC and I decided to recover with a little pizza and a few of these.

We decided we would skip the BG race and spend Sunday morning adding to the 'reservoir of suffering' by visiting the Pig Farm.

We swung by the local caffeine dispensary for the morning boost and picked up a couple of the regulars. After the first 'warm-up' climb it became clear that AC and I didn't get all the racing out of our blood the day before. Hans and CM were game so we spent the next 4 hours in the valley heat climbing, attacking - suffering. Good fun all around!

To cap off this awesome weekend we gathered some friends on the deck to enjoy a little BBQ and some Sangria.

4 comments:

EB said...

Sounds so nice, but I don't know how you guys did it! I was wrecked on Sunday, from an aching tummy to worthless legs.

Badass to you both.

Gianni said...

I shoulda hooked up with ya.The one guy that came out with me Sunday needed to get picked up by his wife at a jack in the box in livermore after suffering in the heat for 65 miles. Another triathlete broken.

Merkeley Bike said...

BB: It was a little crazy, there were times we were each plotting the shortest route to the nearest Bart ;).

G: I would have called but it sounded like you had a good plan. We had a tri guy with us too. He was strong and steady but we broke him will a the accelerations ;>. It was type 1.5 fun for sure.

It think it was the first time I filled my jersey with food and ate every last bit. I should have had some of those Johnny Cakes before we left.

I will be there for Tueday Worlds tomorrow.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

Tuesday Worlds?

hmm ... maybe I'll do the Piggy Mart Continental Champyships, meself.

such a fun post.