Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sadness

We had many little stories to share from Saturday's shenanigans but in light of the tragedy that struck the NorCal cycling this last weekend they all seem insignificant. While we didn't know either of these cyclists well we had raced with each of them often over the last few weeks and admired their skill, fitness and humor. Just Saturday, while racing, Matt rode next to me and gave a good natured heckle about the fit of my kit. It's still hard to grasp that a day later he was gone.

While I struggle to come to grips the randomness and the senselessness of Sunday's events I find myself wanting to supplant my sadness with anger. Like many of us, it's easier for me to be angry than sad. But in searching for someone to blame I find only victims - the riders, their close friends and families, the cycling community at large and yes, even the driver. And without a focal point for my anger I'm left to face the sadness.

Peace and be safe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mike...

Anonymous said...

Mike & Ali - We are so very sorry. Be safe.

~Becky & Dan